PSYC 325: Theory & Research in Dyadic Processes
This course is designed as an overview to the field of close relationships. The major theories of close relationships will be emphasized, including examinations of evolutionary, attachment, interdependence, and cognitive approaches. In addition, research related to topics such as attraction, relationship development and maintenance, relationships and health, infidelity, violence in intimate relationships, and jealousy will be explored, with methodological concerns discussed within the context of each topic.
Class Meets: Sharpless 410, MW 2:30-4:00pm
Office Hours: Mondays 4:15-5pm; Tuesdays 3-4pm, Fridays 11:30am-noon; and by appointment
Readings: Buss, D. M. (2003). The evolution of desire: Strategies of human mating. New York: Basic. (please note that using this link to purchase this book supports ScienceOfRelationships.com)
In the schedule below "Buss Chapter #" refer to chapters in the Buss book. Other author(s) (+year) refer to readings available online (details on how to access these readings is provided in the course syllabus, as is a complete listing of all readings in APA style). Open the readings by clicking on the names/years in the schedule below, or download all the course readings for the whole semester as a 48.2MB .zip file.
(Remember that these should be submitted by noon on the Sunday prior to that week.)
- Week 2 - Monday | Wednesday
- Week 3 - Kate C. & Despina P.
- Week 4 - Rosie S. & Summer H.
- Week 5 - Dayle C. & Victoria P.
- Week 6 - Noemi A., Emma B., & Jackie H.
- Week 7 - none...Fall break
- Week 8 - Sofia-Bella G. & Sydney C.
- Week 9 - none
- Week 10 - Kostya V. & Zhengxiao Y.
- Week 11 - Rachel C., Christine H., & Jancy M.
- Week 12 - Susu Z.
- Week 12 - Student Topics #1 (Wednesday)
- Week 13 - Student Topics #2 (Monday)
- Week 14 - Student Topics #3 (Monday)
- Week 14 - Student Topics #4 (Wednesday)
- Week 15 - Student Topics #5 (Monday)
- Week 15 - Student Topics #6 (Wednesday)
Article Presentation Schedule
- 9/11: Attraction - Emma B.
- 9/16: Evolutionary theory and close relationships - Noemi A.
- 9/18: Evolutionary theory and close relationships - Jackie H.
- 9/23: Attachment theory - Kate C.
- 9/25: Attachment theory - Despina P.
- 9/30: Interdependence theory - none
- 10/2: The investment model - Christine H.
- 10/7: Self-expansion theory - Sydney C.
- 10/23: Support in relationships - Victoria P.
- 10/30: Social Networks - Rachel C.
- 10/30: Social Networks - Kostya V.
- 10/30: Social Networks - Susu Z.
- 11/4: Sex - Summer H.
- 11/6: Sex - Jancy M.
- 11/11: Infidelity - Rosie S.
- 11/11: Infidelity - Dayle C.
- 11/13: Jealousy - Zhengxiao Y.
- 11/18: Violence in relationships - Sofia-Bella G.